This documentation will guide you through the process of upgrading the HelpGuru theme. It is important you follow these steps carefully to ensure a smooth upgrade.
You will need to reconfigure any custom widgets and custom navigation, so you may wish to make a note of any settings for these. It is also recommended you backup your site before continuing.
- Deactivate the theme
- Login to your WordPress administration panel and navigate to Appearance > Themes
- Switch to the default theme – twentysixteen
- The HelpGuru theme will now be deactivated.
- Disable and remove the Heroic Knowledge Base and Heroic Voting (if available) plugins
- From Plugins > Installed Plugins, disable both Heroic Knowledge Base and Heroic Voting (if available)
- Once deactivated, remove these two plugins, by selecting delete. Select delete all files when prompted. You will not lose any articles or votes.
- Delete the old theme
- Goto Appearance > Themes again and click Theme Details on the Help Guru tile
- Select Delete at the bottom right of the theme details popup to delete the theme completely.
- Upload the new theme
- Goto Appearance > Themes and select Add New at the top, then select upload
- Upload the theme package. This will be helpguru.zip or similar. It is not the zip file themeforest-xxxx-themename.zip, if you only have this file, you will need to extract the helpguru.zip first. Follow the installation steps in the main theme documentation for alternative installation options.
- Activate the new theme
- Once installed, select Activate to enable the new theme. You may get a notice to install and activate Heroic Knowledge Base and Heroic Voting, doing so will complete the upgrade
After following these steps you should now have the latest version of the theme and plugin installed and activated. You may need to re-configure your widgets and set the primary navigation from Appearance > Customize after the upgrade. For users that use the Knowledge Base as the homepage this option can now be set in Settings > Reading (see main documentation for more details)